I've been trying to go to the Farmer's Market more often to get more local foods. One item I've been devoted to for a while is Bitchin Sauce. It's almond based and every single flavor they offer is delicious! I don't buy it too often because, well... I can easily eat half the container in one sitting. I went a few weeks ago with a friend and they recently started selling Bitchin Bowls, so we decided to split one. I also had an iced Americano that was delicious. The bowls had rice, black beans, cabbage, tomato, and avocado and you could choose any flavor sauce to add. We chose their pesto version and it was delicious! I purchased a chili cilantro dip and decided to make a Paleo version of their bowls pictured below.
Instead of using rice, I made cauliflower rice and I left out the beans. However, if you're active and incorporate rice into your diet, jasmine rice is a great option. To make a vegan version, you could add black beans with rice to make for a complete protein.
I added in mushrooms, kale and bell pepper and kept the cabbage, tomatoes and avocado. I have to admit I forgot to buy cilantro, but that is a must stay as well. I also added some onions and garlic cloves. The bowl at the Market was raw, but I chose to cook all of my ingredients and then ate the bowl cold. However, you could easily make this dish raw. I also added some chicken, but you could leave this out or use any other protein of choice. Even canned tuna would probably go well.
Here's a picture of the bowl from the Farmer's Market along with a delicious iced Americano!
Since the Bitchin Sauce is only in select cities, you can sub your favorite dip or dressing. A variety of flavors would go well with this, such as roasted garlic, cilantro, avocado, roasted red pepper, etc. I'm hoping to work on a copy-cat recipe of Bitchin Sauce and will post a link to the recipe when it's ready :).
I large head cauliflower, riced in food processor
1 lb mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 small yellow onion (I used a sweet vadalia)
8 oz shredded red cabbage
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 bell pepper, julienned (any color will do)
3 cups kale, cleaned and torn into small pieces
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed into 1'' pieces
3 tsp everyday seasoning, separated
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
4 T Bitchin sauce (or dip of choice)
- In small batches, pulse your cauliflower in the food processor. I find it easiest to cut off the florets and only put enough to make a single layer in the food processor. That way, you get a nice, consistent texture from the cauliflower that isn't too fine and still has larger pieces to resemble rice.
- Prepare your vegetables as listed in the ingredients.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in one large and one medium skillet
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 tsp everyday seasoning
- Cook chicken for 10-15 minutes, or until no longer pink i the middle
- While chicken is cooking, add all your vegetables, except cabbage & cauliflower to the large skillet
- Cook vegetables for about 8-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the cabbage and cook 2-3 minutes, or until wilted
- You can either add the cauliflower to the veggies or keep separate and heat through in a pan for 2-3 minutes, or keep it raw.
- To serve, place cauliflower at the bottom of the bowl, top with veggies and chicken, mix in with your sauce and top with cilantro and avocado