I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much from this recipe when I was putting it together, but these meatballs came out super moist and flavorful and have become a staple recipe in my kitchen. They're also great to make for a party as a simple appetizer without the cauliflower rice. Stick a toothpick in them, and you've got a super simple, tasty app!
I much prefer to make my own teriyaki sauce as store bought brands always have added, unnecessary, usually unhealthy ingredients. Not only that, but it's super easy to make your own and you can adjust to your preferred flavor preference. If you like spicy, add more sriracha; if you like sweet, and more honey; if you love ginger, add more ginger!
For this recipe, I used Trader Joe's pre-riced cauliflower as it makes life so much easier. However, if there's not a Trader Joe's near you, or you just prefer to make your own, there's a few ways to make your own cauliflower rice. You can either grate the cauliflower on a large grater or you can cut off smaller chunks and place them in a food processor. I like to make my cauliflower rice in small batches in the food processor (no more than one layer on the bottom) so that you get a nice consistency. If you try and rice too much at a time, the bottom portion gets too fine and doesn't have that nice rice texture.
This dish would also be great with some added veggies to make a more balanced meal. I love mushrooms and those would go great. Some other options would be carrots, bell pepper or even some broccoli. If you choose to add veggies, simply sauté them in some oil with salt (just a tiny pit since the sauce will be salty) and pepper until cooked through. You could add some garlic powder as well and a splash of tamari or coconut aminos. You'll want to cook the veggies prior to quickly sautéing the cauliflower rice in a pan as you can then add the cauliflower during the last 3-5 minutes.
This dish saves well and is a great option to re-heat at the office or for dinner at home on a busy night.
1 large head cauliflower or pre-made cauliflower rice bag from Trader Joe's
1lb ground chicken (could also use turkey or beef)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T flaxmeal (this helps bind the meatballs together)
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 C coconut aminos or tamari (or liquid aminos.. whichever you prefer)
1 T sriracha (adjust per your spice preference)
1/2'' piece ginger, skin removed and finely zested
1 T rice vinegar
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Whisk all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
3. Place ground chicken in large mixing bowl
4. Add remaining meatball ingredients to the ground chicken and mix well. I like to get messy and use
my hands, but a wooden spoon works well too :). Make sure not to over mix, and just mix until all
ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add 2/3 of the sauce mixture to the chicken mixture and mix just until combined.
6. Scoop out mixture with spoon to make about 1-inch round balls and place on
parchment lined baking sheet (roll mixture in your hands to create balls)
7. Continue making meatballs until mixture is gone.
8. Bake meatballs for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through in the center.
9. If you are making your own cauliflower rice, do so while the meatballs cook.
10. When meatballs are almost done, place 1 tsp oil in medium frying pan and heat through.
11. Add riced cauliflower to pan and cook for 3-5 minutes.
12. For serving, place about 1/2 cup cauliflower at bottom of bowl and then top with meatballs.
13. Top with chopped green onion for a pop of color.