This drink has been the perfect refreshment during these hot summer mornings. I absolutely love coffee and have a cup almost every morning, but with the hot weather lately, I find that I'm craving something cold in the morning (and just too lazy to let the coffee cool to make it iced). This recipe is super easy and you can easily adjust the sweetness to your liking. The best part? There's no additives like carrageenan (cough Starbucks cough)!
I love to use cashew milk as I've found that it's creamier than almond milk and doesn't have that mealiness, but feel free to use any milk alternative (or even dairy milk if you eat/drink dairy) of your choice.
You'll want to dissolve the teaspoon of matcha in 1 tablespoon hot water so that it mixes easily with the milk. Then, whisk in the honey into the hot matcha mixture. If you try to add the honey to the cold latte, it's much harder to dissolve. I only used a teaspoon in my recipe because I don't like it too sweet, but add up to a tablespoon based on your preference. You could add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract for added flavor as well. I used vanilla cashew milk, so I left out the vanilla.
You can either froth the milk with a hand frother, espresso machine, or simply place the milk in a tightly closed jar or container and shake vigorously until frothy. If you use an espresso machine's frother, you'll want to cool the milk before pouring it over the ice. Fill your mason jar, or cup of choice with ice. Pour the matcha mixture over the ice and then the milk. If you're adding vanilla, you can pour that in as well. Stir (or shake if you have a tight lid) well and enjoy!
1 tsp matcha powder
1 cup cashew milk (or other alternative/dairy milk of choice)
1 tsp raw honey
*optional: 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Bring 1/2 cup of water to just before a boil
2. Place 1 tsp matcha powder in a small mixing bowl
3. Pour 2 tablespoons of the water over the matcha powder and whisk until combined.
4. Add 1 tsp (or more based on your sweetness preference) of raw honey to the match and whisk again until incorporated.
5. Fill mason jar (or other glass of choice) with ice.
6. Pour matcha mixture over ice and then pour cashew milk over the matcha. If you're using vanilla, add the 1/4 tsp vanilla extract now as well
7. Tightly secure lid and shake well (if you're not using a mason jar, simply stir well)