In honor of National Taco Day, I'm giving you a recipe for lettuce cup tacos! This recipe is super simple, yet full of flavor and great for making as much or as little as you'd like. This is the perfect recipe for when you're feeling super lazy and don't want to cook, but want to make sure to eat healthy throughout the week. You can also get creative and use the chicken to make different dishes throughout the week if you find the energy :) I serviced it over romaine lettuce and topped with cherry tomatoes and avocado.
This chicken would also be great in a cauliflower rice bowl topped with veggies and avocado or made into enchiladas or even by itself with a side dish.
It saves great, so simply store in an air-tight container. It's also great topped with some cilantro.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can (organic) tomatillo salsa (or hatch chili salsa when in season)
1 small yellow onion, sliced lengthwise in circles
1 head romaine lettuce
1. Place chicken in slow cooker
2. Top with salsa and onions
3. Cook on high for 3 hours if frozen or low for 2 hours if thawed.
4. After 2 1/2 hours, remove chicken and shred with two forks
5. Return chicken to crockpot, stir and cook on low one more hour
6. When ready, thoroughly wash & dry your lettuce and break apart leaves
7. Scoop chicken onto lettuce cups and top with your favorite taco toppings! I used tomatoes and avocado