These fajitas boast flavor and spice! Make sure to adjust the chili to your preference (I love spicy foods)! This would be a great dish to serve when you have a few friends over, as it's super simply to throw together, but looks great served straight out of a cast iron skillet. This dish would be great served over cauliflower rice, or made into a salad. You could use the same ingredients for the marinade to make a dressing.
You don't want to fully cook the chicken in the cast iron skillet since it will be baked in the oven; you just want to slightly brown the chicken.
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you could use any skillet that is oven-safe, or you could simply bake everything in a glass pan and increase the time to 30 minutes.
For an extra burst of flavor, you can sprinkle a bit more lime juice on top, right before serving, as well as some freshly minced cilantro. If you're serving them over cauli rice, avocado would also be a tasty addition. But then again, when is it not ;)?
I know some people have a strong dislike for cilantro, and for some it even tastes like dish soap. If you're one of those people, feel free to omit it from this recipe. You could add in freshly chopped flat leaf parsley instead. It won't have the same Mexican flavor, but at least it won't taste like dish soap!
I absolutely love the smell of steaming fajitas!
all cut into strips:
1 lb chicken breasts
1 yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 pasilla pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1 serano chili, ribs and seeds removed, minced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp sea salt
dash black pepper
dash red chili flakes (add more or less per your spice preference)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in large cast iron skillet
3. Combine all marinade ingredients in small bowl, and whisk
4. Sprinkle the chicken with additional chili powder, cumin and black pepper, just to coat chicken
5. Add chicken to the skillet and pour half the marinade over the chicken breast
6. Cook for a few minutes on each side
7. Add the chicken, onion and peppers to the pan and add remaining marinade
8. Mix well and transfer skillet to the oven
9. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are done
10. Optional: Top with additional squeeze of lime juice and 1 tablespoon of minced, fresh cilantro