This salad is so great on its own, but you can also add some protein, which is what I ended up doing. If you don't eat nightshades, you can omit the bell pepper and add in another veggie. If you're vegan and still want protein, you could add black beans and rice to serve as your complete protein.
The recipe makes a decent amount of dressing, so I would start off using only half, and then add more per your taste preference. I ended up over cooking the kale a bit, but you really only need to sautee the kale at the end for a minute or two to make it more digestible but still give it some crunch.
For the protein, I ended up baking 2 large boneless chicken breasts which I sprinkled with ground ginger, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. I baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (I had flattened them out, so they needed less time to cook) and cut into strips. The pictures didn't look as pretty with the chicken, otherwise I would have posted one of those as well.
The picture doesn't look like much, but this salad has the perfect mix of ginger, sesame and spice and the almond butter gives it a rich creaminess.
2 tablespoons almond butter (creamy, unsalted)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp ginger, peeled and zested
1 clove garlic
1 tsp chili garlic paste
3 tsp coconut aminos
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp honey (or agave for vegan option)
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 bunches curly green kale
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced and then chopped
1 lb crimini (or baby bella) mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
1. If you're cooking a protein, go ahead and start that now - I preheated the oven to 350 degrees while making the dressing and then sprinkled chicken with ground ginger, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt and pepper and baked while making the salad
2. In medium sized bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk until combined
3. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large pot
4. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper and saute until done
5. Add in 1/2 the dressing and mix well.
6. Add in kale, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until combined
7. Taste salad and add more dressing if you would like
8. Top with protein if you made it and