I've made this dish the last three nights in a row for dinner and I'm still not sick of it. It's so easy to throw together and is the perfect weekend breakfast (or weeknight dinner in my case) when you want something quick that still tastes delicious. You can easily substitute with your favorite veggies. This dish would probably reheat pretty well, too. I wouldn't know because I devour it each time ;).
Photo before being baked
You could probably make this in a large cast iron skillet if you're feeding multiple people. I would just increase the bake time a bit. Or, you can bake it in two separate ramekins like I did.
The best part about this dish is that you don't have to cook anything before placing it in the ramekin (or skillet). You might have to chop some mushrooms, zucchini or tomatoes, but that really won't take more than a couple minutes.
You'll want to oil whatever dish/skillet you're using by either spraying with some cooking spray (make sure to only buy the kind without added propellant) or you can rub some coconut oil on the dish. Then, pour 1/2 cup of your favorite (or homemade) marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish(es). Next, add in any vegetables you're using. I went with spinach, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Now, mix this up so that the sauce is incorporated with the veggies. Lastly, make 3 small wells and crack an egg into each well.
If you're using ramekins, you'll bake them for about 20 minutes for runny yolks, and 23-25 minutes for fully cooked eggs. If you eat dairy, feel free to top the dish with some feta cheese for the last 5 minutes of baking to get it nice and melted.
Photo after being baked. Look at that golden brown!
If you have an air fryer, you could totally make this dish in that! I cook mine at 360 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 2):
coconut oil for oiling the dish(es)
1 cup marinara sauce
3 cups spinach
4 large mushrooms, diced
12 cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered if very large)
dash garlic powder
dash salt + pepper
*optional: dash red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Oil two 6'' ramekins with coconut oil or spray oil
3. Place 1/2 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of each ramekin
4. Place 1 1/2 cups spinach, 2 diced mushrooms and 6 tomatoes in ramekin and mix well with marinara sauce
5. Create 3 small wells in the mixture for the eggs
6. Crack 3 eggs into the wells in each ramekin
7. Sprinkle with just a dash of garlic powder, salt and pepper (and red pepper flakes if you'd like) to very lightly coat the top
8. Place in oven and bake for 18-25 minutes (20 minutes for runnier yolk and longer for solid yellow yolk)
* If you choose to use cheese, using a pot holder, remove the ramekin and top with cheese for the last 5 minutes of baking
Carefully remove from the oven and enjoy!!
*I top mine with some hot sauce for some spice!